Recipes By Cuisine - Gourmet
- Avocado, Crab and Tomato Sandwiches
- Dry-Rub Steak Sandwiches
- Corn Créme Brulee with Blueberry Polenta Cake
- Grilled Tuna Steaks with Green Peppercorn Sauce
- Apricots and Ginger Baked in Puff Pastry with Almonds
- Poached Salmon Salad with Wild Mushrooms
- Mango, Brie and Avocado Quesadillas
- Turkey, Brie & Cranberry Melt
- Smoked Turkey BLTs with Herb Mayonnaise
- Bibb and Watercress Salad with Hot Mustard, Toasted Walnut Bread and Blue Goat Cheese
- Yellow Squash in Fennel Butter
Avocado, Crab and Tomato Sandwiches
- 8 slices whole-grain bread
- 8 ounces jumbo lump crabmeat
- 3 stalks celery, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- dash hot pepper sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- dash Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 scallions, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
- Kosher salt and pepper
- 2 ripe beefsteak tomatoes, cored and sliced
- 1-2 avocado, peeled and sliced
- 1 head frisée lettuce
- Toast bread, set aside.
- In a bowl, combine crabmeat, celery, cayenne pepper, mayonnaise, hot pepper sauce, Dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce, scallions and Old Bay Seasonings.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Taste and adjust flavors and seasonings if desired.
- Build sandwiches by topping bottom toast with lettuce, crab salad, tomato and avocado.
- Top with bread and slice in half.
For an elegant ladies luncheon or a romantic picnic by the water. Serve with fresh fruit and chilled champagne.
Dry-Rub Steak Sandwiches
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dark brown sugar
- 1 1/2 pounds top sirloin steak (about 1 inch thick), trimmed
- Kosher salt and pepper
- 1 cup tomatoes, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup Kalamata olives, pitted
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, plus additional to brush bread
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons red onion, finely chopped
- 8 slices hearty bread, 1-inch thick slices
- 2 large bunches arugula
- Mix chili powder and brown sugar in small bowl to blend.
- Rub mixture over steak. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Combine tomatoes, olives, 2 tablespoons oil and vinegar in processor and pulse to coarsely chop olives.
- Transfer to bowl.
- Stir in onion.
- Season relish with salt and pepper.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add steak and cook to desired doneness, about 3 minutes per side for medium-rare.
- Transfer steak to plate.
- Let stand 5 minutes.
- Toast bread and brush tops lightly with olive oil.
- Cut steak across grain into 1/4-inch-thick slices.
- Spread olive and tomato mixture generously over oiled side of 4 toasts.
- Top with arugula, then steak slices.
- Top with a bit more relish, then cover remaining toasts.
Corn Créme Brulee with Blueberry Polenta Cake
- Serves 4
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour, plus 1 tables
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal, plus 1 tablespoon
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-2/3 cups unsalted butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 whole eggs
- 6 egg yolks
- vanilla extract
- 1 cup blueberries
Corn Crème Brulee Base
- 1 quart heavy cream
- 1 ear fresh sweet corn
- 10 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups fresh blueberries.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line bottom of a 9-inch square cake pan and spray with cooking spray. Combine flour, cornmeal and baking powder and set aside. Cream butter and sugar with an Oster® hand mixer until light and fluffy. Add eggs, egg yolks, and vanilla to taste to the butter and sugar mixture in three stages, scraping bowl after each addition. Add dry ingredients until well incorporated. Fold in blueberries. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for about 20 minutes, or until cake springs to the touch or a knife inserted comes out clean.
Corn Crème Brulee Base
- Place cream and corn cob in a heavy-bottomed saucepan and place over medium heat. Scald cream; do not boil.
In a stainless-steel bowl, combine egg yolks and sugar. Blend yolk/sugar mixture into cream. Strain mixture and cob. Place bowl in an ice bath to cool. Fold in blueberries. (This recipe makes extra creme brulee base.) Preheat oven to 300°. Cut four circles of polenta cake to fit into 2-inch-wide ramekins. Place cake in bottom of each ramekin. Sprinkle reserved corn kernels onto cake. Fill remainder of ramekin with creme brulee base. Bake in a water bath for 20 to 30 minutes, until a knife inserted comes out clean. Cool, but serve at room temperature.
- Sprinkle tops with sugar and place under broiler until caramelized. (This will not take long so watch carefully).
Grilled Tuna Steaks with Green Peppercorn Sauce
- 3 tuna steaks
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 large crushed garlic clove
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 4 tbsp whole green peppercorns
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 2 tbsp cognac (optional)
- Rub fish with salt, lemon juice, garlic, and olive oil. Set aside for 20 minutes.
- Combine tomatoes, peppercorns, and mustard in a small saucepan and heat on the corner of the grill, stirring occasionally until thickened. Stir yogurt and cognac into tomato mixture and cook for another 3-5 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Grill tuna on medium coals, turning once, until meat flakes easily with a fork (allow 10 minutes per inch of thickness.) Serve with sauce spooned over.
Apricots and Ginger Baked in Puff Pastry with Almonds
- Serves 6
- 2-1/4 cups water
- 1 cup sugar, plus 2 tablespoons
- 1 vanilla bean, cut lengthwise
- 1 teaspoon finely julienned ginger
- 12 apricots, cut into sixths
- 4 egg whites
- 4 ounces 10X sugar (superfine powdered sugar)
- 6 5-inch puff pastry rounds, unbaked
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1/4 cup crystal sugar
- 10X sugar in a shaker
- In a heavy-bottomed pot, bring water and sugar to a boil.
- Add vanilla bean, ginger and apricots and let cool to room temperature.
- Remove vanilla bean.
- Distribute mixture into individual 8-ounce ramekins.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a stainless-steel bowl, add 10X sugar into egg whites and whip with an Oster® hand mixer to form an icing.
- Wrap tops of ramekins with puff pastry.
- Drizzle on icing, then sprinkle almonds and crystal sugar.
- Bake until pastry forms dome.
Poached Salmon Salad with Wild Mushrooms
- 1/3-1 lb salmon steak, cooked as desired (grilling or poaching work best)
- 1/4 cup watercress
- 1 small head radicchio
- 1 large head romaine lettuce
- 1/4 cup minced shallots
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1/3 lb tree oyster mushrooms, sliced (or any other wild mushroom variety)
- 3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Slice salmon into 1" pieces. Sprinkle with 1 tbsp lemon juice; season with salt & pepper.
- Clean and tear radicchio and romaine leaves and combine in a large bowl.
- Saute mushrooms with shallots in olive oil until translucent. Add remaining lemon juice and season to taste. Toss with salad and top with sliced salmon.
Mango, Brie and Avocado Quesadillas
- 1 lb brie
- 1 ripe mango
- 2 roasted Poblano peppers, peeled
- 1/2 yellow onion
- 1/2 bunch fresh cilantro
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 package whole wheat tortillas
- 2 tbsp safflower oil
- Chop the onion and blanch for 10 minutes; drain the water and set aside.
- Warm the brie to room temperature. Clean and cube the mango and avocado; chop the cilantro.
- On a tortilla, spread the brie and layer the mango, onion, pepper, avocado and cilantro; top with another tortilla and lightly brush each side with safflower oil.
- In a skillet, cook on each side until lightly browned and inside melts. Cut into quarters and serve with mango or a tomato-based salsa.
Turkey, Brie & Cranberry Melt
- Serves 4
- 8 slices pumpernickel bread
- 4 teaspoons butter
- 8 slices turkey breast
- 4 tablespoons cranberry sauce
- 4 slices fresh Brie cheese, thick
- Spread 1 teaspoon of butter on bottom slice of bread.
- Place on top of buttered side of bread, 2 slices of turkey, 1 tablespoon cranberry sauce and 1 slice of cheese. Repeat for each sandwich.
- Place top on sandwich and put in Oster® Sandwich Maker. Cook until bread is toasted and cheese is melted.
Smoked Turkey BLTs with Herb Mayonnaise
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup fresh basil
- 1/4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 8 slices smoked turkey
- 1/2 pound ready-cook bacon, cooked
- 2 plum tomatoes, sliced
- 1/2 head romaine hearts, washed and dried
- Toast bread.
- In a food processor, combine mayonnaise, basil and parsley. Process until mayo is tinged green and herbs and finely chopped and incorporated into mayonnaise.
- Spread herb mayonnaise on bread and layer with turkey, bacon, tomato and lettuce.
Bibb and Watercress Salad with Hot Mustard, Toasted Walnut Bread and Blue Goat Cheese
- Serves 4 to 6