Recipes By Course - Soups
Cream of Tomato
- Makes 4 1/2 cups
- 2 cups tomato juice (approximately 8 medium tomatoes)
- 2 tbsp butter or margarine
- 1 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Dash onion powder
- Dash celery salt
- dash pepper
- 1/4 cup potato juice
- 2 cups milk
- Process tomatoes through the Juice Extractor. Measure 2 cups juice.
- Put juice, butter, sugar, onion powder, salt and pepper into 2-quart saucepan. Heat over medium heat.
- Add potato juice to milk. Stir into tomatoes and heat until slightly thickened.
Ying Yang Soup
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 1/2 cups vegetable stock
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 2 fresh chili peppers, seeded and chopped
- 30 ounces black beans, canned, rinsedn and drained
- 30 ounces cannellini (white kidney) beans, rinsed and drained
- Red and green chilies, for garnish
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1/8 cup cilantro leaves
- 2 fresh chili peppers, seeded
- 2 pots, 3 to 5 quart
- Oster® Hand Blender
- Place 1/2 onion and 1 clove garlic in 5 to 6 quart pan over high heat, cook until brown.
- In the same pan, add 2 green onions and 1 chili over high heat. Stir until onions are wilted, about 2 minutes and add black beans; whirl with Oster® Hand Blender, gradually adding 1-1/4 cups stock until smoothly pureed.
- In second pot, repeat process but add white beans and whirl, gradually adding remaining stock, until pureed.
- Set both pans on medium-high heat, stir often until steaming.
- From pans (or use measuring cups) pour soups simultaneously into opposite sides of a wide 1-1/2 to 2 cup soup bowl so they flow together but do not mix (1/2 black, 1/2 white).
Repeat to fill all bowls.
- Garnish with red and green chilies. Serve with chili oil for extra kick!
- Place chilies, cilantro and oil into Oster® Hand Blender cut and whirl until chilies are just finely chopped or minced (do not puree).
- Let mixture stand 24 hours and then strain through cheese cloth or very fine sieve.
- Serves 4
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium yellow onion, minced
- 2 cups vegetable broth (or fish stock if you have it)
- 5 small potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 yellow tomato, chopped
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1/8 cup dry sherry
- 1 pound medium shrimp, shelled cleaned and chopped into 3rds
- Chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- Place olive oil and butter into Oster Rice Cooker. Add garlic and onion and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add vegetable broth and potatoes. Cook about 15 minutes, until potatoes are tender.
- Add whipping cream and sherry. Stir well.
- Stir in shrimp and simmer until shrimp are cooked through and turn opaque, about 8-10 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh chopped parsley if desired.
Gazpacho with Avocado
- 3 tomatoes, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 cucumbers, peeled, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1 medium red onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 red bell peppers, cored, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1 green pepper, cored, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1 large jalapeño pepper, cored and seeded
- 1/4 cup sherry wine vinegar, red, or balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 slices crusty bread, torn into several pieces
- Kosher salt and pepper
- water or tomato juice, to thin as desired
- 2 avocados
- 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro
- Combine tomatoes, garlic, cucumbers, onion, peppers, vinegar, oil and bread in a large bowl.
- Working in batches, fill food processor fitted with chopping blade 3/4 full and pulse until mixture resembles a chunky puree. Pour into a large serving bowl and repeat with remaining ingredients.
- Season with salt and pepper, taste, and adjust flavors as necessary.
- Stir in water or tomato juice and thin to desired consistency.
- Chill gazpacho.
- Just before serving, peel and chop avocado into a small bowl, add lime juice and cilantro.
- Taste and reseason gazpacho as necessary, ladle individual servings into bowls and top with avocado garnish.
Serve with spicy grilled jumbo shrimp or add lump crabmeat to avocado garnish for an extra special occasion.
Chile Corn Chowder
- 6 green chiles, roasted, peeled, stems and seeds removed, chopped
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 potato, peeled and diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cups whole kernel corn
- 1 cup grated cheese
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Combine all ingredients, except the cheese and the cream, in a large pot and cook over a low heat until the potatoes are done.
- Add the cream and cheese. Heat until cheese has melted.
- Optional: For a heartier soup, add cooked diced or shredded chicken before adding the cheese.
Smoked Salmon Bisque
- 1 cup smoked salmon, flaked
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 whole bay leaf
- 1 tsp thyme
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 cup dry white wine
- Salt to taste
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 5 cups fish broth
- 1/2-3/4 cup cream, heated
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- In butter, sauté onion, carrots, and celery with bay leaf and thyme. When softened, add first a dash of cognac and then the white wine. Season with salt and cayenne pepper. Add fish broth and tomato paste.
- Bring to a boil and let simmer for a few minutes. Puée mixture in an Oster® Blender or Oster® Food Processor and pass through sieve. Return soup to pan and bring to a simmer. Add salmon flakes and heated cream. Adjust seasonings to taste. Serve garnished with fresh thyme.
Tuscan Mussel Soup with White Beans (Guazzetto di Cozze e Cannellini)
- Serves 4
- 4 1-inch cubes peasant bread
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- extra-virgin olive oil
- pinch of salt
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 48 mussels, washed
- 1-1/2 cups dry white wine
- pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup cannellini beans boiled (reserve 1/2 cup of liquid)
- 4 tomatoes, blanched, seeded and diced
- 4 teaspoons chopped Italian parsley
- salt and white pepper
- Toast bread cubes lightly in an Oster® Toaster Oven until golden brown.
- Rub toasted croutons with garlic clove.
- Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, gently saute minced garlic and bay leaves in oil and butter; do not brown.
- Add mussels, white wine and red pepper flakes.
- Cover, and steam open mussels.
- Off heat, remove mussels from pan and extract them from their shells. Set aside.
- Add the reserved cannellini bean liquid to pan.
- Add beans, diced tomato and chopped parsley.
- Add salt and white pepper to taste.
- Heat soup bowls.
- Place one crouton in each.
- Add cleaned mussels to soup, ladle over croutons and serve immediately.
- olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 12 shallots, minced
- 2 jalapeno, seeds and stems removed, minced
- 1 large Spanish onion, peeled and diced
- 10 ears of corn, shucked
- 8 cups fish stock
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 ribs of celery, cleaned and diced small
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced small
- 1 bulb fennel, diced small
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 3 pounds cleaned and ground conch meat
- Lime wedges for garnish
- In the Oster® Electric Skillet, heat 1/4 cup olive oil over medium heat.
- Add garlic, shallots, onion, celery root and jalapenos and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the corncobs, half the corn kernels, fish stock and cream. Allow the soup to simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove the soup from the heat.
- Remove the corncobs; puree the soup in the Oster® Blender and pour the soup back into the Oster® Electric Skillet, on low.
- Add the onion, celery, carrots, fennel, herbs, the other half of the corn kernels and cherry tomatoes.
- Stir in the ground conch and bring to a simmer.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve with a wedge of lime.
Cream of Broccoli Soup
- Serves 4 to 6
- 1 cup water
- 1 package (10 oz.) frozen chopped broccoli
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups processed cheese
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup half-and-half
- Garnish: Croutons
- In a large saucepan, cook broccoli in water (do not drain).
- Put milk, cheese cubes, bouillon and flour into your Osterizer® blender container. Cover and process at ON.
- Add cheese mixture to broccoli.
- Add the half-and-half.
- Cook, stirring frequently, over medium heat until hot and until mixture thickens.
- Serve garnished with croutons.
Zuppa di Tuscany
- Serves 4 to 6